Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Mountie Monday: Hoopin' Through MU

(Borrowed from Canyon Hoops)

Hey, Mountie Nation!

For this week's Mountie Monday, I chose someone that I used to share an apartment with! If I were to be asked what my most vivid memory of living with Rosey Boone is, I would tell them about the times in our backyard (whether it was 70° or 40°) when she would practice her hula hooping.

Rosey first started hooping during her freshman year and loves it just as much as when she started... maybe even more! After watching her friends Deirdre and Angel hula hooping outside of Maple (Ah... good ol' Maple), she decided to give it a shot! Hooping definitely wasn't easy right off the bat and it took Rosey around a year to get her first basic trick down.

Hooping has become more than just a fun way to workout for Rosey, but also a way to relieve stress. While hooping, she can't think about homework or the struggles of a college student (lack of cash flow). It also serves as a form of meditation by "wiping away her worries and replacing them with joy!"

Rosey has recently been selected to participate in Hooping Idol! Hooping Idol is basically a Youtube version of American Idol, except they perform hooping routines. This week, Rosey had to choose a hip-hop song to hoop to, which was a little challenging considering that isn't the type of music she would usually listen to.

To support Rosey and her dreams, visit and "like" her Facebook and keep an eye out for updates!


Name: Rosey Boone
Year: Senior
Major and Minor: B.A. Music, minor in Creative Writing
Hometown: Bethel, PA
Organizations: President, Founder of Hula Hoop Club

What made you choose Mansfield?

Rosey: I chose Mansfield because it is a very similar town to where I went to high school.  I felt comfortable here, and after going to Choir and Music Theater Camp during the summer I decided it was where I wanted to go to school.

Favorite professor or class and why?

Rosey: It is really really hard to choose, but my top two classes have to be Global Art with Martha Campbell and Gender Politics with Bosworth.  I also learned a lot in Eastern Approach to Reality and I'm currently enjoying taking the English Senior Seminar with Dr. Harris.  I've really reached out of the box with my Gen. Ed. classes and I do not regret it!

Do you have any advice for students looking to start up their own club/organization?

Rosey: The one thing that I learned really quickly was to not be afraid to ask for help.  There is no such thing as a silly question, and it's easy to get lost in the paperwork and approvals and requests.  The ladies in the CCSI office are very nice and helped me so much with my first request.  A lot of the staff on the top floor of Alumni helped me figure out how to get started as well.  Also, it can be easy to get discouraged if your club doesn't have a lot of interest at first, but as long as YOU are enthusiastic about it, the people who you really want in your club will pick up on that and start participating more.  Your members feed off of your energy.  To some extent, you are going to have to do more work, put in more time, and maybe even some of your own money, but starting the Hula Hoop Club has been so worthwhile for me, it is so worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment