Monday, February 24, 2014

Mountie Monday: Gotta Catch Em' All!

(Borrowed from in.gov)

Hi, Mounties! Hope you all had a great Monday! For this week's Mountie Monday post, I interviewed someone that my adviser recommended. Lukas Fogel, junior, competed at a national level in Pokemon! This is so impressive because so many people (no matter the age) play Pokemon and to be able to compete at a national level is huge!

Lukas first became interested in Pokemon because of his brothers. In 1998 (when the games came out), Lukas' brother, Doug, bought the game. Lukas didn't know much about the game at first since he was only 6-years-old, but that would change pretty soon.

After battling his brothers (and winning), Lukas started to take on other challengers at school. Soon, he was beating everyone he knew. Lukas started figuring out the math and hidden mechanics behind the game, which is when the game really gets serious. 

After Lukas was exposed to the strategy behind playing Pokemon, he slowly progressed further and further until he competed at a national competition in high school.


Name: Lukas Fogel

Year: Junior

Hometown: Pen Argyl, PA

Organization: ASTA (American String Teachers Association); Nerf Club (co-founder, planning committee member)

What made you choose Mansfield?

Lukas: I chose Mansfield because of the music department. I had heard it was wonderful and wanted to check it out. I ended up falling in love with the campus and the people here.

Favorite professor or class and why?

Lukas: My favorite professor here has to be Dr. Jacobsen. Without him I probably wouldn't be here as he is not only an amazing teacher but also very willing to listen and help out whenever he can.

Favorite event at Mansfield and why?

Lukas: I really like the spring fling. It's really nice to see everyone on campus come out and have a great time. My freshman year the theme was the 90's and my friends must have spent hours playing with slap bracelets. It was also at that spring fling that I starting seeing my girl friend of 2 years. So I have a lot of memories associated with that event.

What's one of the most valuable lessons that you've taken away from Mansfield, so far?

Lukas: The most valuable thing I learned here at Mansfield is that after changing my major and and seeing groups of friends come and go, is that you can't be afraid to change. It happens all the time and if it is, than you can at least make it on your own terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment