Monday, February 10, 2014

Mountie Monday: Melissa Wiles Kicks Mounties into Shape


(Image borrowed from GOMOUNTIES.COM)

Hey, Mounties! Hope you had a relaxing, warm weekend! 

This week, I thought I would feature someone who is a very close friend of mine and is super inspirational! Melissa Wiles, fellow Mountie, teaches classes at Kelchner Fitness Center on campus and does an amazing job. I've been to every type of class she teaches, other than Insanity, so I speak from experience when I tell you that it's totally worth your time.

Melissa consistently keeps a high GPA, stays involved on campus, works multiple jobs, and teaches classes at KFC. If that doesn't scream busy, then I don't know what does. Even with all of the responsibilities Melissa has, she constantly has a smile on her face and that really helps when you're trying to get through those last few minutes of Kardio Kick.

Thanks for making MU proud, Melissa!

Name: Melissa Wiles

Major(s) and Minor(s): Dietetics, Sports Nutrition, Applying for Nursing and a Minor in Psychology

Hometown: Mansfield, PA Organizations: Alpha Sigma Alpha (Positions held: Ritual Chairman, Panhellenic-Delegate, Vice President Of Membership Education)

What made you choose Mansfield?
Melissa: I chose Mansfield because I am an extremely family-oriented person and Mansfield was close to home. Mansfield also has an excellent dietetics program with professors that expect excellence and are there to help your education. Lastly, my parents are employed by Mansfield University so I get free tuition.

Favorite professor or class and why?

Melissa: My favorite professor would be Dr. Wright. Even though she is an extremely challenging professor she is incredible and has a firm knowledge base. She is probably my most strict professor but also one of the most caring and helpful workers this university has. She is always challenging her students to go above and beyond.

Favorite event at Mansfield and why?

Melissa: My favorite event would be Homecoming. It is such a fun-filled weekend and really brings out the school spirit in students. The prep rally is full of excitement and Mountie pride, the football game is packed, and we're loaded with candy from the Homecoming parade.

Favorite memory from Mansfield:

Melissa: My favorite memory from Mansfield is when I taught my first Kardio Kick class, two years ago. Before I started teaching classes I had always wanted to try and be like Chalene Johnson, who is the creator of workouts including Turbo Kick, PiYo, Turbo Fire, and Hip-Hop Hustle. Doing her videos inspired me to one day be as uplifting, motivational, and strong as her. Amy Delozier, my awesome boss at Kelchner Fitness Center pushed and pushed me until I finally told her to put me in the schedule to start teaching classes. I was terrified prior to the class. The last thing that I wanted to do was mess up because I thought that meant I would have failed. My first class went incredibly, though, and the natural energy that I possess took over my body. I have learned through my years of group fitness that it is okay to mess up or forget a move. People don't come to the classes looking for a perfect instructor who doesn't make mistakes. Instead, they are looking for a fun workout, a high energy environment, and a motivating and uplifting instructor who is eager to help. There is nothing more rewarding to me than coming out of a group fitness class and knowing that everyone in the room had a safe and effective workout.

Tips for staying fit during college:

Melissa: My number one tip for staying fit in college is finding a friend or a workout buddy. Even on days in which you lack energy a workout buddy can be that extra push that you need to get motivated to go to the gym. I would also recommend trying the group fitness classes that Kelchner Fitness Center provides for FREE! Classes range from relaxing yoga, booty shaking Zumba, and to the extreme of Insanity. The instructors make the moves doable yet challenging for all exercise levels. I think many people lose interest in staying fit because they continue to do boring exercises that don't deliver optimal results. Exercising can be extremely fun and rewarding at the same time. It's about getting into a routine. All it takes is about 20-30 days for something to become a habit and it only takes about 20 minutes for the "feel-good" endorphin's to start rushing throughout your body.

If you think you know someone (even if it's yourself!) that would be a good fit for Mountie Monday, please send an email to themountieguide@gmail.com with the (1.) student's name, (2.) contact information, and (3.) reasons why they should be featured on Mountie Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment